Abort or save the pregnancy? Unfortunately, this issue arises in front of the woman not so rare case. The abortion problem, as it is known, is one of the multifaceted: it is considered from the standpoint of social, ethical, religious and many others. However, it will be address only one – medical – aspect and do it as objectively as possible.
“Abortion” is translated from Latin as “miscarriage”. Abortions are spontaneous or artificial. Spontaneous take place without external interference. The abortion, which is done in medical facilities, is the medical abortion; the medical abortion which is done beyond healthcare facility is criminal abortion.
According to the Association of Family Planning, many strong countries like Russia, holds the second place in the world in the number of abortions (per 100 births there are 208 abortions).
Unfortunately, despite the fact that gynecologists offer a huge amount of contraceptives, family planning trend is the abortion.
The choice of method in how the pregnancy should be stopped is the women’s choice with consulting a physician according to the term of pregnancy and physical condition of the woman.
This method of abortion is conducted without surgical intervention with using drug called Mifegen (or also called Mifepristonum, RU-486). It is used for early stages of pregnancy of medical abortion (up to 8 weeks): from 1 to 63-day delay of menstruation cycle.
The early pregnancy stage is largely dependent on progesterone, a hormone secreted by the ovaries area. It’s using the progesterone the uterus is in a state of guiding the developing of the pregnancy fertilized ovum and fertilized ovum.
Mifepristonum is progesterone antagonist which leads to blocking progesterone receptors which are sensitive to the uterus, the separation of the ovum and pregnancy termination, increase uterine contractility, softening and dilatation of the cervix and helps the expulsion of the ovum.
If you choose this method, after a fact confirmed intrauterine pregnancy and take a swab on the purity of the vagina, you should take 3 tablets of the drug orally (Attention! The number of tablets does not depend on the duration of pregnancy!)
If within 1-2 hours, there is vomiting or the swollen stomach, it is likely that the desired result is not achieved, and you will have to perform an abortion in another way. The appearance of spastic pain and bleeding from the genital tract are expected after receiving the medicine within 36-48 hours.
In most cases, an abortion occurs within 4 hours. Pain and extent of bleeding may vary in intensity and duration; the symptoms vanish within 12 hours completely. If not, contact your doctor without delay.
Bleeding and pain are not a guarantee that an abortion has occurred. Therefore, in any case, you must make a check-up with the help of ultrasound and gynecological research methods in 8-10 days after receiving the medicine.
Vacuum Aspiration (“mini-abortion”)
Mini-abortion or vacuum aspiration is used in the early stages (up to 5 weeks) of unwanted pregnancy. This procedure is performed by special ovum vacuum suction. The surgical intervention is performed under general like (intravenous) and under local anesthesia. The surgery of mini-abortion (excluding the time required for its preparation) does not last more than 5-7 minutes.
Suction is performed through a flexible plastic cannel (small tube), cervical dilators are used, the muscles of the cervix are not damaged. Mini abortion is most often performed under ultrasound when the doctor immediately sees where fertilized eggs are.
Many women within 2-3 days after mini-abortion discharge or getting bloated after abortion may experience the symptoms similar to menstrual. Two weeks after the operation one is definitely needed to see a gynecologist, because 1% of women after mini-abortion are still possible to have the pregnancy.
The essence of the procedure is as follows: the cervix is recapped by a solid rubber sized of a bottle. It is placed into woman’s vagina for 9 days. The cap emits a magnetic field, which has detrimental effects on the fetus. The fetus dies and a miscarriage begins.
The cap can be applied only when delay is not more than 3 days (despite the cheapness of this method, do not try to use it in a long delay). To enhance of the action of the cap when it is necessary to use special drugs that increase the contractile ability of the uterus.
The pills are inserted into the woman’s vagina for further absorption. However, the magnetic field causes light dragging pain in the abdomen to many women.
40% of women complaint of pain in the abdomen; there are also other symptoms like loose stool and swollen stomach, vomiting and chest pain. There are also cases when patients suffer from chills and fever.
Medical abortion is a kind of abortion used for an unwanted pregnancy in the period from 6 to 12 weeks. At first, a doctor expands the cervix by using special devices. Then he uses the curette (a peculiar loop) to scrape fertilized egg from the uterus. Placenta is removed with the fetal egg. The surgery is held under general anesthesia.
Possible Complications of Abortion
Abortion is a serious surgery. Even if it is done under the best circumstances and by the experienced specialists, there may be adverse health consequences as a result of complications. Let’s consider the most widespread of them:
- The injury of the uterus. Cervix breaking is one of the most severe consequences of abortion; paries of the uterus may be damaged because of violation of the integrity of the body with medical instruments. Repeated curettage of the uterus make the paries thinner. If it happens so, a patient has to take special drugs and undergo medical treatment to avoid complications. These effects are deprived of medical abortion, the use of a magnetic cap. During the mini-abortion, when the intervention is carried out without cervical dilation, in theory, cervical muscle damage does not occur. However, during the mini-abortion during the first pregnancy, when the cervical canal is very narrow, since it is not expanded, it is still possible to injury cervical musculature.
- Bleeding and swollen stomach. If you have the damage of large blood vessels, you may experience heavy bleeding during surgery. Such bleeding requires urgent surgical treatment. It also often requires blood transfusion. Sometimes it is necessary to remove the uterus.
- Complications of anesthesia. Each type of anesthesia, even local, is associated with some risk, albeit small. In particular, there may be disturbances of the heart rhythm, respiratory failure and liver. The most dangerous complication of anesthesia is allergic (anaphylactic) shock – an allergic reaction characterized by fast growing, mainly general, symptoms: lower blood pressure and body temperature, etc. This condition is very dangerous and can be fatal.
- Inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs. All inflammatory diseases manifest with more or less severe abdominal pain, fever, malaise or swollen stomach, usually within 1-10 days after termination of pregnancy.
Abortion can lead to the following diseases, some of them are fatal:
- Endometritis is the inflammation of the mucous membrane of the uterus.
- Endocervicitis is the inflammation of the lining of the cervix.
- Parametritis is the inflammation which usually occurs due to bacterial penetration through the cervix or directly through the wall of the uterus. When the parameters can be abscess, and when it is spontaneous dissection – non healing fistulas (that can connect the vagina and rectum, vagina and bladder).
- Inflammation of the uterus (ovaries and fallopian tubes). When the inflammation occurs in the fallopian tube which has the inflammatory liquid, it disrupts permeability.
- Peritonitis is an inflammation of the entire abdominal cavity or peritoneum – the membrane covering the bodies and the walls of the pelvis and abdomen. Peritonitis can lead to death.
- Thrombosis. Because of bleeding disorders and getting blood clots in the bloodstream can form clots in the veins, particularly in the veins of the legs. Such conditions require emergency treatment or at least you can consult doctor on the issue.
As you see, abortion is a serious surgery. So, you have to consider all the “pos” and “cons” when agree to get rid of an unborn baby.